Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 1 - 5 miles

Today was brilliant, a nice gentle start and some amazing sights and tours.
We left the hotel and headed up to Southwick Park to register and get all our admin sorted. About 2 miles into the journey the part that I bent yesterday decided to go into my wheel causing it to jam up and also gave me a puncture. So this is it, I've fallen, broke something and had a puncture, that's it for me now nothing else will happen all week.
After walking about 3 miles with my bike on my back I arrived at Southwick Park to be greeted by Dave in a van coming to collect me...too little to late. He did take the bike away and gave me a spare while it was repaired. I'm yet to get the bill!
Once I got sorted out I registered, got my T-shirt and all my bits and enjoyed the bay at Southwick, we were given a tour of the Map room where, on 5 June 1944, General Dwight D. Eisenhower made the historic and risky decision to launch the D Day invasion. We were then treated to a spot of lunch whilst one of the bands played to us. After a quick meet and greet with the organisers and a quick briefing we went back outside to get ready for the off.
At the leaving ceremony there were speeches by Ross Kemp, Bryn Parry and Mrs Gregory who was at Southwick Park when Eisenhower gave the Green Light for the D-Day landings. As the old Artillery guns set us off we headed down to the Ferry port to cross over to Cherbourg.


Once we arrived in Cherbourg we all head our seperate ways on coaches to get to our hotels, this is what I was greeted by;Basil Faulty would have been gutted with this place. There was no bar, no restaurant and being a bank holiday nowhere was open. Good times! Ah well off to bed to get set for the first big day

For further info please mail me on yimmin@btinternet.com

No comments: