Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 5 - 65 miles

Today started out like pretty much every other day, a hill and rain. I’ve found my legs though as I’m powering up these hills with no trouble at all. I’ve left everyone I’ve been riding with behind so I’m looking for new friends now.
We left Lisieux and headed on to Bernay, along the route we stopped for a water break and had a talk from Chris Barker the commandant at Selly Oak who told us all about his role and how he’d seen a shortfall in the care received and what he’s done to change it. It’s amazing how much difference one person can make.
From here we continued on until we reached Bernay which is where a lot of the resistance came from. We had talks from two of the FANY’s and SOE’s from the day. After this there was a wreath laying.
It was just onwards and upwards after this towards Evreix, more hills, more rain and more pain……until! We did it, we found a local bar, had a couple of drinks then moved on, and then me and Geoff found another bar wit everyone outside so we had a few more drinks. When we went to leave one of the lads had a puncture so as Geoff was in a different hotel I told him to go on. We sorted the puncture and continued on, as we hit the final hill I put my feet down to get a good hard start and both feet came out of my clips (I’d ruined the bottom of my shoes with all the walking so I couldn’t clip into my pedals) I fell with all my weight onto the cross bar, the pedal hit my shin then span round and hit my calf……..PAIN! I got tot the top of the hill and Chris asked if I was okay, at which point I was shedding a tear. Ah well at least I made it, so this evening has been all about checking that nothing is swelling and hobbling around.

For further info please mail me on yimmin@btinternet.com

No comments: