Tuesday, December 11, 2007

How unfit was I?

Over the past few months I knew that I'd been a bit lazy when it came to working out, the only exercise I did was what I needed to do with the T.A. or an occasional game of 5-a-side. After finding out that I'd got my place on the BBBR I thought that I'd better do something about it...I didn't. I then did the Santa Dash in Liverpool, this is a 5 km circuit round the city centre in a Santa suit. Essentially it's just a good old fashioned fun run, not on this wet Sunday morning though. I got up feeling pretty good and headed into town to meet the other lads from the T.A. when I got there I could only see two of them........the PTI's (Physical Training Instructors). I knew this wasn't going to be fun.
I think the first half of the course was a OK, I felt fine and had a good pace about me and I was keeping up with the PTI's sometimes pushing them. Then all of a sudden, I'm guessing around the 3 km point I started to feel it...the wall, I thought this can't be it I've run further for a shite and been OK. I struggled on, then during the last 500 m I knew I was dying. I just about made it to the finish line while the PTI's skipped and jumped for the cameras. It was at this point that I thought...350 miles, 5 days, 1 bike seat! I'm gonna need to sort this out.
I'm getting back into the swing of it, I've got my bike back on the road and I'm giving up the car, I've got an appointment in the gym tomorrow to get a fitness review and get a plan together to try and get fighting fit. I need a plan cos I'm crap at motivating myself to start with, once I'm on the tracks I'm good but it's just the first few steps I need help with. So it's just a case of watch this space. On my last PFT (Personal Fitness Test) I got 48 Sit Ups, 60 Push Ups and Level 9 on the Bleep Test (I think, I'll check on that). I'm going to do it once a month starting in January and post my results, lets see how much I improve.

No comments: